Have you visited Sirenis Punta Cana Resort yet? Maybe you have and maybe you haven’t, but either way you probably never knew how truly amazing the Dominican Republic is! We hate brag, but we at Sirenis Premium Travelers Club always knew Punta Cana was one awesome place to vacation. But we have to admit that there are some interesting facts about the Dominican Republic that have alluded us…until now.
Did you know…
1. Christopher Columbus arrived on the island of Hispaniola (the island that is home to the Dominican Republic and Haiti) on December 5, 1492, during his first voyage to the new world. He claimed the island for Spain and named it La Española.
2. Pico Duarte, located the central mountain region of the Dominican Republic, is the highest mountain in the entire Caribbean at over 10,000 feet!
3. Lago Enriquillo, located near the border with Haiti, is the lowest point in the Caribbean at 135 feet below sea level. It is also unique because it is a saltwater lake and one of the most important wildlife preserves for American crocodiles.
4. Larimar is a rare blue stone that is only found in a mountainous region of the Dominican Republic.
5. From Punta Cana, you can take a day excursion to Saona Island, famous for its stunningly beautiful beaches. The island has been used on many occasions by filmmakers and advertisers looking for a stereotypical “desert island” setting.
6. The Rhinoceros Iguana is a threatened species of lizard found almost exclusively in the Dominican Republic and its neighbor, Haiti. They vary in length from 60 to 136 centimeters (24 to 54 inches) with skin colors that range from a steely gray to dark green to brown.
7. The national dish of the Dominican Republic is Sancocho (pronounced San-co-cho). It’s a soup with vegetables or ground provisions such as yams, yucca, potatoes, and a variety of meats.
8. The unofficial national cocktail of the DR is called Mama Juana, made by soaking rum, red white and honey in a bottle with tree bark and herbs. It is dark red and tastes similar to port wine.
9. Merengue is the official dance of the Dominican Republic.
10. The longest game of baseball ever played was played in the DR. It lasted 6 hours and 13 minutes. The Dominicans won 4 to 3 over the Tigres de Aragua of Venezuela.
What other fun facts do you know about Punta Cana and the Dominican Republic? Share them below!